PTE is an online exam. It assesses four language skills: listening, reading, speaking, writing. It tests your English proficiency. Hence you don’t need to have knowledge of any specific subject areas.
Test duration is of 3 hours.
Test results are available in 5 days.
PART 1: SPEAKING & WRITING (77 – 93 minutes)
- Personal Introduction
- Read aloud – 5-6 tasks
- Repeat sentence – 10-12 tasks
- Describe image – 6-7 tasks
- Re-tell lecture – 3-4 tasks
- Answer short question – 10-12 tasks
- Summarize written text in one sentence – 2-3 tasks
- Essay (20mins) – 1-2 tasks
Part 2: Reading (32 – 41 minutes)
- Multiple choice questions (single answer) – 2-3 tasks
- Multiple choice questions (multiple answers – 2-3 tasks
- Re-order paragraphs – 2-3 tasks
- Fill in the blanks – 4-5 tasks
A ten minute break is optional
Part 3: Listening (45 – 57 minutes)
- Summarize spoken text – 2-3 tasks
- Multiple choice (single answer) – 2-3 tasks
- Multiple choice (multiple answer) – 2-3 tasks
- Fill the blanks – 2-3 tasks
- Highlight the correct summary – 2-3 tasks
- Select missing word – 2-3 tasks
- Highlight incorrect words – 2-3 tasks
- Write from dictation – 3-4 tasks
PTE General is not accepted for visa applications.
When can I book a test date?
If you book a date within 48 hours of the date, then you have to pay additional 25% of the test fee.
Who can take PTE Academic?
The test is for individuals who are 16 and above.
Do I have to speak in a particular accent?
The test can recognize speech from non-native speakers of English. All four language skills are weighed equally.
How many times can I take the test?
You can take PTE Academic as many times as you like. You can book your next test immediately after you get your test results.
Where are the test centers of PTE?
There are test centers around the world. You can make payment for registration by MasterCard or Visa debit cards.
How do they check my identity at the test center?
You have to take your ID. They may take your photo, a palm vein scan and a digital signature.
What documents can be used as ID?
You need to take your passport.
What happens if there is a problem with my computer during the test?
Raise your hand and tell the test administrator immediately. They will record your problem or it will be difficult to solve any issues later.
How is the test timed?
Each section of the test is individually timed. You will see a timer in the top right corner of the screen counting down the remaining time.
Can I take notes during the test?
Yes. We will give you an erasable note board booklet (about 5 sheets of A4 paper). If you run out of space, you can ask for another booklet.
Can I correct my answers during the test?
You can correct multiple-choice responses by clicking to deselect. Typed responses have cut, copy and paste options.
However, you can correct mistakes only before moving on to the next item. In a speaking section the microphone will switch off if you don’t speak within 3 seconds.
How do I view my scores online?
You can see your scores once you have signed in to your Pearson account at www.pearsonvue.com/pte
Click ‘View Score Report’ to see your scores for each test.
How do I send my scores to institutions?
You have to sign in to your account. You can send your scores to unlimited number of institutitions free of charge. We will send you an email to confirm your scores have been sent.
I took the test more than five days ago, but have not received my scores. What should I do?
If your score is on hold we will contact you. If you have not received any messages from us at all, contact us.
My score is ‘on hold’. What does that mean?
We will put your score on hold if we detect any possible irregularities in your test.
We investigate even minor issues, so having your test put on hold does not mean there is necessarily a problem.
When will institutions be able to see my score?
It takes up to 48 hours for scores to be sent to institutions.
Can I send my previous scores to institutions?
Yes. Just choose the score you want to send once you have signed in to your account. Scores remain available for two years.
How many times can I take the test again?
You may retake PTE Academic as many times as you want.
Can the institutions see my earlier test scores?
Institutions will not be able to see your scores unless you allow them to by sending your scores to them via the website.
To how many institutions can you send your score?
You can send them to an unlimited number of institutions, but you may only select seven recipients at any one time (per score order).
For how long are the test scores valid?
Test scores are valid for up to two years from the date of the test. After that, you will no longer be able to view those scores on the website.
Requesting a rescore
If you are unhappy with your PTE Academic score, you may request a rescore. Before doing this, test takers should take the following into consideration:
- PTE Academic is automatically rescored; therefore, it is unlikely that your overall scores will change.
- Only spoken responses and open-ended written responses are rescored.
- In the unlikely event that your score change, it may go up or down.
- If your score changes, it will replace your previous score and the rescore fee will be fully refunded.
- You may only request a rescore of your most recent PTE Academic test.
- You cannot request a rescore if you have already either scheduled another test or sent your score to an institution.
- To order a rescore, you must contact Pearson Customer Service within 14 calendar days of your score report being made available to you.
What happens if I arrive late?
- Contact the relevant customer service team as soon as you know you are going to be late.
- If you arrive up to 15 minutes late you may still be allowed to take it.
- You will still get the full three hours to complete the test.
- If you arrive over 15 minutes late you will not be allowed to take the test and you will lose your fee.
What do I need to do to cancel or reschedule my test?
You may receive a partial refund if you cancel your test before the appointment date.
If I do not turn up to take the test, can I claim a refund?
Contact the customer service team in your region.