- The introduction of a passage usually contains the main idea or topic of the passage.
- Usually the answer to finding a suitable heading or title of a passage can be found in the introduction.
- The conclusion summarizes the main points of the passage.
The following give more clues
- Title and sub-titles
- Instructions / Questions
- Illustrations, figures, tables, graphs, diagrams
- Bold printed words
Titles and Subtitles
- The title of the passage itself can give a rough idea about the main topic of the passage.
- Sub-titles for each section of the passage tell us what is contained in them.
- Skim through the passage in a minute to get an overview of the passage.
- It helps to know the topic, what the passage is about and the writer’s purpose.